I am happy to offer a FREE 30 minute trial lesson to new students interested in taking lessons at The Flute Studio.
In this lesson you will:
- Perform a piece of your choosing
- Receive valuable input regarding your performance
- Learn about The Flute Studio
- This lesson also serves as an evaluation for admission into The Flute Studio
As a student/parent you should always have an introductory lesson with a private teacher. Important information you should look for when searching for a new teacher:
- Education – where did the teacher go to college? Do they have a Bachelor or Masters degree in FLUTE PERFORMANCE?
- Who were their teachers?
- Do they teach at any local colleges?
- Do they perform professionally? Where?
- Do the students in the studio have opportunities to perform?
- Does the teacher offer audition preparation?
- Do the teacher’s students perform in top ensembles in the area?
- Is it a thriving music studio?
My answers to the above questions (but, please read my bio too!)
- Education – where did I go to college? I went to two of the top schools in the country for flute performance: CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (BFA – Flute Performance), MANHATTAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC (MM – Flute Performance)
- Who were my teachers? JEANNE BAXTRESSER (New York Philharmonic), JENNIFER STEELE-CONNER (Pittsburgh Symphony), ALBERTO ALMARZA (International Soloist), STEPHANIE MORTIMORE (Metropolitan Opera), LINDA CHESIS (International Soloist)
- Do I teach at any local colleges? I am the Adjunct Professor of Flute at Washington and Jefferson College
- Do I perform professionally? YES! I perform throughout PA, OH and WV in numerous professional ensembles, including the PITTSBURGH OPERA, ALLEGHENY CITY RAGTIME ORCHESTRA, WESTMORELAND SYMPHONY, WHEELING SYMPHONY, AKRON SYMPHONY, YOUNGSTOWN SYMPHONY and more!
- Do the students in the studio have opportunities to perform? Yes! We have two recitals each year – a garden recital in South Park and a winter recital (2014 at PPG Wintergarden)
- Do I offer audition preparation? Yes, I am a specialist in competition and college audition preparation.
- Do my students perform in top ensembles in the area? My students have performed in All-State Orchestra, Regional Band and Orchestra, District Band and Orchestra, Honors Band, Three Rivers Young Persons Orchestra, Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra and more!
- Is it a thriving music studio? Yes! I have taught over 100 students in the past 15 years.
This offer is for new students only. 7 days notice for cancellations. Student must provide their own instrument. Limited to teacher availability.
FAQ about Flute Lessons:
Where is The Flute Studio located?
The Flute Studio is convieniently located in Bethel Park – less than 5 minutes from South Hills Village Mall, Upper St Clair and Peters Township.
What do I need for my first lesson?
Your flute! If you have music from school or previous teachers that you would like to bring to start, please do. I have my own set of warm ups and activities to get us started, but I also love to hear something that you have prepared and are comfortable playing to demonstrate your skills. We usually choose music in the first 2 weeks of lessons. When we choose music I recommend music that will both challenge you and keep you interested – if you don’t like it we generally don’t play it (although scales are a neccessary part of life!!) I want lessons and your flute to be fun!
When can I get started?
Send me an email and we’ll try to schedule a time (firstname.lastname@example.org).